Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Welcome, readers! The kick-off book for our virtual book club is Willa Cather's Death Comes for the Archbishop.

Published in 1927, Death Comes for the Archbishop enjoys spots on both the Modern Library's 100 Best Novels and Time Magazine's 100 Best English Language Novels. Cather herself considered it her best work.

Death Comes for the Archbishop follows a Catholic bishop and priest as they struggle to establish a diocese throughout the New Mexican territory in the mid-19th century. Like much of Cather's work you can expect it to be a simple story full of beautiful descriptions. Because of the book's structure, Cather hesitated to call Death Comes for the Archbishop a novel. Rather it reads more like a collection of short stories about the two main characters, Bishop Latour and Father Valliant.

----------

The idea for an online book club started, really, with my bookish sister Kelly who loves books and who loves to discuss books but who lives too far away to participate in a bona fide book club, at least, that is, with me. This was a real bookish bummer. So one day we were thinking about all the other members of our family, and friends too, who live just too darn far... but who are nevertheless quite bookish. We wanted to discuss books with all these bookish folks, too!

And we were thinking that maybe there were other bookish people out there in the world who want to discuss books and who maybe don't want to leave the house so much to do so. And, so maybe, we thought, a book club could be a blog? We weren't sure... but we wanted to find out. And that, my bookish friends, was the genesis of the Bookish Girl Book Club.

The Bookish Girl Book Club is very new and somewhat experimental. We've come up with a loose framework for how we think things should, or may, go... but everything is subject to change (or hopefully, improvement).

Here's what you need to know so far:

1. First of all, join! Email us at bookishgirlbookclub@gmail.com to be added to the club. Of course, if you'd rather read along as more silent-observer and less active-participant, that's fine too! But we hope to facilitate discussions here and we'd love to hear your voice. (Figuratively speaking, that is.)

2. We will be discussing the book as we go. Each book will be broken down into smaller sections. Discussion points or questions will be posted every week. These questions will be posted by either me or Kelly... but we will be turning to other readers to take the reins on books in the (near) future. Especially if your book is chosen as a book club selection, which leads me to...

3. Make suggestions! We will be posting a schedule for the upcoming months. Is there something that you'd like to read and that you think other bookish girls would enjoy? Email us or leave a comment.

4. In addition to the discussion points we'll have along the way, we encourage readers to post questions at any time. If you join via email, you'll be made a blog contributor. Just pose your question or discussion point as a post. Other readers can chime in in the comments section of your post.

5. While bookish girls are slaves to their novels, they are never slaves to this club. You can come... or go. Cherry-pick the novels that interest you the most; we don't mind! That's why we intend to publish a schedule. (Very soon, we hope!) That way you can plan ahead and choose what works for you. Maybe it will be all of them? We would like that, too!

----------

This week's assignment is to track down a copy of Death Comes for the Archbishop and read the Prologue and Books One and Two. (This is only about 80 pages.) I'll post something next Wednesday.

Have fun and see you next week!

{image}

12 comments:

  1. I know Patti suggested something by Graham Greene, to be more specific, let me suggest "The Power and the Glory".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Graham Greene. I even like him enough to steal one of his novels off your bookshelf some number of years ago and conveniently forget to return it....

    ReplyDelete
  3. What book would that be? I forgot to mention in my first post, "The Power and the Glory" has, what maybe, an interesting relationship to your first book selection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It would definitely make it seem we had a particular interest in Catholicism... for a bunch of Mormons, that is!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and I think I stole "The Heart of the Matter."

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. I'm going to number my sub-comments for better flow and understanding. (Including this preamble explaining my use of a numbering system.)

    2. After the initial confusion of the name of the book club and the inevitable realization that it was not a female-exclusive endeavor, I am most definitely in.

    3. I don't think I'll be able to get a copy of this month's book in time, so the schedule needs to be in place post haste so I can prepare for the next novel. (No pressure girls.) I support "The Power and the Glory" (Graham Greene being one of my favorite authors).

    4. Don't feel bad, Melissa - I've stolen books from Dad before, too.

    5. I'll have to read Cather's novel sometime soon if I can't make the deadline - Professor Murphy speaks highly of her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Zach,

    1. It takes a real man to be a member of The Bookish Girl book club. I commend you.

    2. Stealing books is fun. (From family members, that is. I do not endorse stealing books from libraries, book stores or Walmart. Especially Walmart. The books there stink!)

    3. Do you think Professor Murphy reads this blog? I wonder...

    p.s. I'm seriously sorry about the name. I still think it's a cute name, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been hearing a lot of discussion lately on one of my yahoogroups about "The Virginian." Never read it, but would like to. There's a suggestion for you. I hear there's room for lots of relationship discussions.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have read The Virginian and would read it again to see what I would learn differently as a married woman. I will say that The Virginian had a role in me quitting a job once. A really good job. LOL It is great American literature, no doubt.

    BTW, I am one of Melissa's mission friends.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now that I have Death Comes to the Archbishop in my hands I think that some other books need to be between The Virginian and the current book because they are both wild west books and the world is so big! I still like the idea...just spaced out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I also noticed the wild west thing... so I agree that we'd likely hold off for a bit on it. But I have to admit... I am seriously intrigued to read The Virginian based on job-quitting story alone. Man, talk about the power of a book!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL Melissa, I have got to find a way to do RSS feed for this blog. I can't keep reading older posts to see if I missed comments. Any suggestions from other participants who are not admins?

    ReplyDelete