Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Book 7: The Great Diocese
I admit that I have had a soft spot for Father Latour that I haven’t had for Father Vaillant. But catching a glimpse of how the Bishop views his Vicar really changed my opinion of Vaillant. His memory of when they met was sweet, but seriously, how ugly is this guy? I think all the references to Vaillant’s unfortunate looks are hilarious, including Latour’s observation that Father Joseph was “quite unconscious of his homeliness.” Apparently that level of homeliness usually requires some sort of acknowledgment from the offender. I appreciated Latour’s list of Vaillant’s admirable attributes, though, and I realized I hadn’t recognized them all before. How do you feel about Latour and Vaillant? Has your opinion about one or both of them changed as you’ve continued to read?

I don’t know if it’s an appreciation or just an observation, but I love Father Latour’s description of the Native American presence in the land. He points out, “It was the white man’s way to assert himself in any landscape, to change it…it was the Indian’s way to pass through the land without disturbing it…to vanish into the landscape, not to stand out against it.” Maybe then it was merely a cultural difference and Cather wasn’t necessarily admiring the Hopis and Navajos, but now leaving such a small carbon footprint is definitely impressive.

Book 8: Gold Under Pike’s Peak
Wow! Father Vaillant continues to impress in this book! His willingness to serve God and His people is unwavering. He will literally go anywhere to serve. Although he loves his work and the people in Arizona, he obediently returns to New Mexico only to pack up for the cold discomforts of Colorado. I thought one of his observations about the differences between the Americans and the Mexicans was interesting. He notices, “In his Denver congregation there were men who owned… flourishing businesses, but they needed all their money to push these enterprises. Down among the Mexicans, who owned nothing but a mud house and a burro, he could always raise money. If they had anything at all, they gave.” I think Cather’s cultural observations (I assume to some extent these are her observations and not just her characters’) are really insightful. I think she looks at other cultures and beliefs with real compassion. What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Before I started the book, I think I wasn't prepared for how wholly I would fall for these characters. I really love them both... although I've adored Valliant longer. He could easily charm me into giving him two mules when I meant to give one. I am forever a devoted parishioner.

    As I've been reading, thoroughly enchanted by a novel with a (strangely?) ominous title, I keep thinking about what an amazing writer Cather is... That she created these characters that are so layered, so developed, so entirely real to me. Brilliant! And that's just ONE aspect of the novel that amazes.

    The whole part of standing out in the landscape was interesting... and true. LaTour admires the natives' approach to their surroundings... and he aspires to that with his cathedral... But does he succeed? (I wish I didn't have to return my copy of the book, gosh darn it! I want to go back and re-read parts to back myself up. My copy was overdue and on hold for another patron... and at $.25/day, those fines were adding up!)

    The point that you touched on from Book 8 was really, as you said, so insightful. I mean, human frailty at its core doesn't change much over time, does it? Don't you think the same observation could be made today? Cather is right on.

    And I like what you said about her compassion for other people's cultures and beliefs. For me, I wouldn't have bought into the book as much if I didn't feel Cather's compassion and respect for both the Catholic priests AND the Southwestern natives. In fact, what grabbed me at the start WAS that I felt she honored the endeavors of the priests. I needed to know that her point wasn't going to be "they don't belong here" or "what they are doing is wrong or pointless". As the novel has progressed, I think we're building to a place where both priest and native have grown in respect, love and need for the other.

    ReplyDelete