Monday, July 6, 2009

Book 5:
Although Cather continues to examine the relationship between the church and the existing culture on some level here, Book 5 seems to focus in on problems the church could face anywhere: men and power.... Or perhaps more accurately, what happens when certain men get some of it. Father Martinez and Father Lucero both have power. Father Martinez uses his power to overindulge his senses... too much food, too much sleep, too many women. (Which for a priest, would be, um, any at all?) Father Lucero uses his power to hoard riches. (Additionally, he is certainly an interesting contrast to Father Martinez. Father Lucero has too little of everything... to little food, too little of even common comforts.)

Father LaTour has power too, but he wields it with compassion and wisdom. There is so much Vaillant in me... Like him, I wanted to see Martinez ousted at once. LaTour has the wisdom to hold off. I also thought it was interesting that LaTour takes the time to find out Martinez's history... giving LaTour perspective on the man, although not using that perspective as justification for Martinez's choices or behavior.

I enjoyed the very end of Book 5, Chapter 2 for a couple of reasons. First, I liked that I was fooled a bit by Lucero's calling for the last rites. I anticipated the abundance of candles around his death bed to mean, perhaps, that Lucero was letting in or accepting light after denying it for so long... that his intentions were pure. Instead, he meant to use the light to stay aware of potential burglars. I also loved the part about the women and the ritual of gathering for a dying man's last words. I laughed that Lucero's words were a nose thumbing directed at Martinez. I really enjoy Cather's sense of humor.

3 comments:

  1. Fist of all....Kelly, your new book club friends are thinking of ya, hoping all gets well soon!


    Melissa,
    I loved your thoughts on power and the use/misuse of it, especially when it involves religion. It seems as though this is the underlying demise of any religion as whole throughout history (as well as government, civilizations, ect). I'm not completely done with book 5 yet, but I had some things in the first half that I didn't want to forget. I totally missed making the connections between Martinez and Lucero.... I went back to read it.... must have been mindlessly page turning through that part. (I have been reading sometimes at the 3am feeding.... not "quality" reading most of the time). Anyway, your insights were great.

    * I found it interesting right at the begining of Book 5 when they arrive in Taos and the people are like throwing their shawls down for him to walk on and kneeling as he pases. He says that in France he would have thought it was too much but with these people the "demonstrations seemed a part of the high colour that was in landscape and gardens, int eh flaming cactus and the gaudily decorated altars....... He had already learned that with this people religion was necessarily theatrical." How cool is that? The comparison of the way they worship to the land! Very cool Cather.

    *Funniest line: When dicussing celibacy with Martinez.... "I have passages all written down somewhere. I will find them before you go. You have probably read them with a sealed mind. CELIBATE PRIESTS LOSE THEIR PERCEPTIONS." HA! This cracked me up. And then, he follows with a very interesting point as he points out that unless a priest sins he can never experience repentance and forgiveness. (This is a very deep thought I think.....never thought of applying this principle to priests and leadership of a church). And then... another really funny line comes after this deep thought "SInce concupiscense is the most common form of temptation, it is better for him to know something about it." Bwahhhhh! I love a well thought-out justification...bravo Martinez! Anyway, the rest of that paragraph is just awesome as he talks about having to fall to rise to a state of grace.

    * And lastly, two unecessary observations that I just can't withold. 1st- the adjective "swarthy" has become a new favorite. Cather has sold me on it. 2nd- nasty description of Padre Martinezs teeth, long and yellow. Gross. I loved the dig.... "Laughing did not become him; his teeth were too large- distinctly vulgar." I feel awful saying it (okay, if I really felt awful I wouldn't say it) but some people laughing just doesn't become. This brings the merry poppins scene of the laughing man to mind.

    Thanks Melissa for the commentary, I needed a push to get through the rest of Book 5 and your review has me now anticipating it.

    Casey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like just about, well, everything in life... this blog magnifies my insecurities. I'm pretty confident that everything I say here qualifies much more as "observation" than "insight"... but I'm really excited about what we're doing here. (Although I'm hoping participation picks up just a wee bit!)

    Kelly and I started this on the idea that you always get more out of a book when you talk about it... and I am getting so much out of this book thanks to you, Casey, and Kelly too. I love your perspectives and thoughts on the text. It has inspired me to pay more attention... and just generally appreciate Cather and her art even more.

    I hope any bookish girls on the fence out there will join in, whether it's this time or next.

    I finished Book 6 today... but I'm going to bed now. I'll try to put something up tomorrow. Kelly is out of the hospital. (Yay!) I'm going down to grab two of her sons to come and hang NorCal style at our house for a few days. Or forever. I may never give them back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Touche'. (Is that even an appropriate use of that word/phrase? I tend to misuse it.)

    Anyway, Touche' to hoping we can rally the other bookish girls comments!!!

    P.S. NorCal style??....how cool are you. I wish I had thought to use that phrase when I actually lived there. Seriously, now I will be trying to find some way to say "NorUte" in a sentence all week and not come off like a moron. And I am being very serious.... I can now think of so many times while living there that the phrase "come hang it NorCal style" would have been so perfect.... dang missed opportunities.

    ReplyDelete